Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
PCPC member companies are committed to a more diverse, equitable and inclusive world. Many PCPC members have established best-practice programs in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) by:
- Establishing and measuring representation of diverse talent in executive, management, technical and Board roles
- Enabling equality of opportunity through fairness and transparency with analytics tools that provide visibility of promotions and pay processes and criteria to ensure a level playing field in advancement and opportunity
- Promoting openness and enforcing a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior such as bullying, harassment or microaggression, and establishing standards for open, welcoming behavior
- Building a culture in which employees feel supported and welcomed as their authentic selves
- Strengthening leadership accountability and capability to support the company’s DEI goals and progress
Beyond creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, the beauty industry also works to develop products and services with more formula and shade diversity, as well as disability-inclusive packaging, to meet the different needs of our consumers and their unique skin and hair tones and types, beauty rituals, behaviors and preferences. Recognizing that there is not just one standard of beauty, our industry has expanded representation of spokesmodels and influencers in its communications to better reflect the diverse world in which we all live.
In 2020, PCPC engaged an issues management firm to conduct a series of in-depth interviews and a survey to gauge PCPC Board members and staff opinions on DEI. PCPC also held a Town Hall to hear first-hand from its employees. A number of themes emerged, including a commitment to diversify PCPC’s membership, as well as training our employees to fully understand and appreciate each other’s differences. PCPC formed an internal, employee-led task force that includes staff members from a variety of levels and departments within the organization. Additionally, PCPC established a Board-appointed DEI Advisory Group to provide strategic direction and guidance for industry DEI initiatives.
In 2021, PCPC proudly announced our first annual Madam C.J. Walker Award for Excellence in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The Award recognizes individuals who demonstrate an outstanding commitment through strong leadership and sustained efforts with a focus on workplace culture, programs and policies, or through external engagement with consumers and communities. The selection committee presented the inaugural award to Latriece Watkins, executive vice president, Consumables, Walmart U.S., in recognition of her dedication to advancing DEI.